4.06.2010

Speaking of Diaper Rash...

While we're on the subject I'd like to take a moment to discuss the diaper rash issue. Diaper Rash is rarely a problem for me since I AM using cloth, however the situation has come up a time or two.

Part of my nature just happens to be really paying attention to when things occur and what could have possibly cause them. Here are some of the issues I have found; Detergents, washing machines that are not rinsing the diapers clean enough, things that are in the babies food or drink. I nurse and I avoid dyes like the plague. Well once a year around Easter I like to have a little treat...Cadbury mini eggs with that thin candy shell (which is full of dye!) I had few the other day and after a feeding that was several hours later my sweet baby boy had a diaper rash. I have no doubt in my mind it was the dye from those eggs that did it! So be careful what you are giving your baby.

Detergents: Don't ever use tide or any other toxic popular laundry detergents, you midas well skip the cloth and use the disposable diapers because you've just defeated the purpose! Great Alternatives are Seventh Generation powder detergent (unscented version), Rockin' Green, or you can always just use baking soda and hot water, throw in a little vinegar every so often and viola you're all set!

Baby wipes...also full of toxic chemicals. I use either hot water or my own solution with Young Living Essential Oils, V-6(a carrier oil) or olive/coconut oils, and water. My current knowledge on the wipes if you must use some get the Seventh Generation they are the least toxic. (I honestly usually go for the hot wash cloth & it works just fine!)

Now the reason I ONLY use the tender tush is because it works it's the best, has no toxic fillers just all natural ingredients that are found in nature not created in a lab!) Here are 2 reason's I don't use the others: 1. the creams such as Desitin, Burt's Bees, Aveeno (just to name a few) will actually form a barrier on the diaper leaving them unable to absorb the pee resulting in leaks, thus ruining the diaper! Which is actually the reason they work in the first place, they form a fluid proof barrier against the babies skin thus keeping it dry so no rash. 2. I actually used to use Burt's Bees (on my daughter now almost 3) until they got bought out by Clorox. I no longer believe this is a safe product! They are adding things to the cream that I would never want on my babies skin!

Just a heads up for all you Diapering Mama's out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment